Thursday, January 24, 2008

Car of the Year 2008


I am sure everyone knows by now that the Fiat 500 has won the Car of the Year 2008. It isn't easy re-launching an icon – much less winning a prestigious award as this (Neither the new Beetle or Mini got one). But this blog is not about the car itself.

I requested a brochure which was promptly delivered. I am not exaggerating when I say that it is one of the most ''interactive'' pieces (of print) I have ever got my hands on. I have seen classier/glossier and more premium brochures and DM from the Cartier's and Jaguars, but never this interactive. It let's you play with the wheels, colour combinations, stickers etc… I am sure the cost of the piece is significantly higher than other similar product brochures, but it does its job brilliantly. It has prompted me to book myself for a test drive as soon as it is available in London.

And that is exactly any DM/brochure is designed to do – salesmanship in print. Whether I buy the car or not, depends on the product and service, not on the marketing piece.

1 comment:

Rana said...

That really was an excellent piece of marketing. I am not saying that we should replicate it, but there is certainly a lot that can be learned from it.

Of course we can only determine the true value of a mailpiece once the conversion rates have been measured, and we all know the statistical and logistical isses that can arise there.

But it was still one of the most entertaining and engaging and enthusing (and expensive) bits of direct mail that I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing it.