Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Seen three movies this month [so far]

Elegy: Not exactly my kind of film but I'm glad I saw it. If this was any ordinary film, I would have switched it off after twenty minutes. Ben Kingsley is rightly one of the best actors of our times and he proves it in every movie that he acts. [I guess it's the Indian gene in him]. Gorgeous Penelope Cruz stars with him as his student who gets into a romantic liaison with the professor – several years her senior. An ordinary story [or two intertwined with each other – I wouldn't take it away from you] but exceptional acting makes this film stand out. And, if like me, you are a Penelope fan, you will thank me forever. Click here for a trailer.
Rating: ****

Vicky Cristina Barcelona – I am not trying to stereotype but I always find Woody Allen's movies a bit incomplete. He leaves too much to the audience to imagine. This one is no different. An artist dating two tourist friends in Barcelona finds everything turned upside down when his ex-wife returns to stay with him. Javier Bardem, Scarlet Johansson and Penelope Cruz star in this movie. It's worth watching if you have nothing else to do on a flight [like me]. Click here for a trailer.
Rating: **

Momento [2000] – Leonard [Guy Pierce] is looking for the man who has raped and killed his wife. What makes it complex is that Leonard is suffering from a short-term memory loss and has to take Polaroid pictures, notes and tattoo his body to remind him of his objective. The movie is shot in reverse [coloured] and chronological [B&W] in set alternatives, giving the audience a feel of Leonard's condition. Fantastic story, brilliant acting and award-winning direction – it was nominated for 2 Oscars. I am told the movie is made in several languages, including Hindi [Ghajini]. Click here for a trailer.
Rating: *****

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

Momento has to be in my top 10.