Sunday, July 20, 2008

The magic of iPhone

iPhone is incidentally also a phone – a point that most of the so called iPhone killers [iphoneys by other manufacturers] have missed. Creating a phone that looks cool is the easiest to copy and I admit some of the competitors have done it quite well. However, the magic of iPhone is in the software; the multi-touch screen rather than the touch screen that's been around for years now. Youtube and Google Maps work like a dream on the machine on wi-fi as you would expect on your computer – unlike my Nokia where only a handful of youtube flicks were available for WAP.

One of the big advantages of iPhone is that independent developers are making applications for it and loading it on to iTunes to deliver to individuals that want them.

I wouldn't be able to explain all the applications here but let's take a look at a couple that I downloaded for free:

Remote Control: Nine months ago, I blogged if only I could get my mobile phone to work as a remote control for all my music stored in my hard disc at home [through wi-fi]. One of the applications I downloaded does just that – through wi-fi via iTunes -your entire music library can sit on a Mac/PC and the iPhone can access it with all the jacket covers etc. to work as a remote. How cool is that? I have a feeling HE reads my blogs…don't you think so?

Last.fm: If you've already got an account on last.fm – download the application and it gives you access to the entire library and radio services. With wi-fi or GPRS [I have a bundled package of unlimited free web browsing from O2] – it connects to the website and you get a personalised radio…

It's got applications that link to movies database [Tomatoes] to give you reviews; find nearest restaurants and places of interest; mobile facebook, games…and Tomtom is making a software to turn your iPhone into a Sat-nav too…

1 comment:

Rana said...

There is also this expensive new iPhone application on the techtree site :)