Friday, November 16, 2007

The new car...



I remember when my parents bought the first B&W television - it had three control buttons:
Switch on/off/volume, brightness & contrast.

I recently bought a Denon 7.1 channel AV amplifier. It has separate buttons to switch on and off. It has more buttons than I will ever use (or any normal non-geek will). I fully understand that the device is multifunctional but it does not have to compromise simplicity.

iPod wasn't the best portable mp3 player in the world - it was designed with a normal consumer in mind. Nokia is the market leader because it has not changed its user interface since the early nineties - That explains the millions of people who never buy any other phone.

I picked up my new car today. Without getting into the details of the make and model, I must confess that I ordered the highest spec series with the infotainment, SatNav, Adaptive Cruise Control et al. When I couldn't get things to work (they weren't intuitive), I reached for the user manual - it runs into 1200 pages and could be one of the electives in a management programme. I don't know where to begin and how to make everything (or anything) work. I guess that is why God created weekends.

1 comment:

Ann Cardus said...

Vishy, I'm with you 100%. However I have been playing with my HMI for a while now and could provide a tutorial taking about 5 mins if needed. :)