Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Sholay producer GP Sippy dies...

If one was to ask a 100 Indians to name one Bollywood film amongst the millions released in the last 80 years or so, one name will dominate the poll – Sholay.

The movie was released in 1975 – and no one knew then how big a legend was being born. Everything in the movie came together perfectly. It broke all previous records and in real terms no Bollywood movie has ever come close in over 30 years.

Numerous movies still have references to the characters, dialogues and scenes of the movie. I am one of the die-hard fans who has an original 1975 poster of the movie adorning a wall in my house.

I recently saw the re-make of Sholay - RGV Ki Aag. All I can hope is that GP Sippy did not see it. I sincerely request all Sholay fans to avoid the same at all costs.

Rating: *****+

Click here for teasers:
One
Two
Three

2 comments:

Rana said...

Welcome back. I think I recall that he did see it, or at least previews of it, and was so disappointed that he asked for every reference to the original Sholay to be removed. Just shows the original film is untouchable.

Anonymous said...

I am sure he just saw the previews. If he had seen the whole movie earlier, he would have passed away then...